Smile Like You Just Don’t Care – Because You Don’t!™
Dentures or Implants, Which Is Right For You?
Tooth Implants: An Investment Worth Considering
Missing teeth affect more than your smile, they have negative effects on your health and well-being. It’s important to replace missing teeth for many reasons, including:
- Your bite changes, putting you at risk for a slanted jaw and digestive problems from poor chewing
- Holes in gum tissue host bacteria, causing more plaque and cavities in remaining teeth
- Missing teeth can cause difficulty speaking
- Your self-image suffers, impacting your social life and career
- Multiple missing teeth result in bone loss in the jaw and a hollow-looking face
Dental implants replace missing teeth, but are they right for you? No two mouths are the same, and the answer depends on your unique situation.
Ross Dental provides comfortable, natural-looking dentures and affordable dental implants for Milwaukee area patients.
Learn more below or contact us today for a personalized consultation.
Dental Implants vs Dentures
Complete dentures are a removable appliance used to replace missing teeth. Partial dentures fill in gaps and are supported by attachments to remaining natural teeth. Dental implants are surgically implanted titanium posts acting as artificial tooth roots bonding with the jawbone, creating an anchor for the replacement tooth (crown) and protecting the health of remaining teeth. There is no upper age limit for dental implants! We see many senior citizens choosing tooth implants to improve their quality of life.
How do dentures and dental implants compare?
- Look, feel and function more like natural teeth
- Higher upfront cost; lasting benefits
- Reduce bone loss and prevent gum tissue from shrinking
- May need replacement in 15-20 years, can last for life
- Clean by brushing and flossing
- Require surgery to implant
- Speaking, smiling and sleeping feel much more natural
compared to wearing dentures
- Can look quite natural
- More affordable to start; require greater investment over time
- If worn improperly, can irritate gum tissue or cause bone loss
- Need replacement every 3-6 years
- Require nightly removal and meticulous cleaning
- It can be difficult to become used to speaking and smiling as
muscle control is required to keep dentures in place
Eating with dental implants vs dentures
Dental implants stay securely in place while eating. Dentures can slip around, especially over time. As years go by, wearing dentures long term can increase bacterial growth, leading to gum disease.
Food also tastes better with implants compared to dentures. Not only do dentures restrict what you are able to eat, they cover your upper palate which has many taste buds.
Can anyone get dental implants?
Tooth implants are not right for every patient and will not work for you if:
- You cannot have oral surgery
- You cannot or will not quit smoking
- You have a medical condition which compromises your immune system
There are many factors affecting oral health, and the best way to decide how to replace missing teeth is by speaking with a dentist about your options.
Cost of Tooth Implants in and around Milwaukee
The cost of dental implants depends on the type of implant used, and the number of appointments and procedures needed. Schedule an individual assessment with Ross Dental to receive a personalized estimate for your dental implants.
Location can be an important factor when it comes to what you pay for dental implants. It costs more to maintain an office in downtown Milwaukee compared to New Berlin, and dentists with higher overhead expenses will often charge more.
Other factors affecting the cost of dental implants include your overall health, your dentist’s level of experience, diagnostic tests and additional procedures such as a bone graft and how many teeth are being replaced.
Dental implants do cost more than dentures at first. However over time, the cost of replacing dentures and dealing with associated complications can mean investing more time and money than you had bargained for.
Each dental patient and tooth is different
There are many variables to consider when choosing a dental treatment and there isn’t a single right answer for any given tooth problem. Investing in quality tooth implants provides many immediate and lasting benefits and in many cases is the best decision for improved oral health.
Your oral health affects your quality of life and self-esteem every day. The qualified and compassionate team at Ross Dental will help you decide the right course of action for the long-term well-being of your smile. We accept most major dental insurance plans and offer flexible payment options.
Ross Dental Services in Southeastern Wisconsin
Ross Dental in New Berlin serves patients from locations throughout southeastern Wisconsin, including: Milwaukee, Brookfield, Waukesha, West Allis, Muskego, Pewaukee, Greenfield, Hales Corners, Franklin, Elm Grove, Mukwonago, Big Bend, North Prairie and Wales.